Prospects of Yoon's formal meeting with Xi uncertain: Yoon's office
简介While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President ...
While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President Yoon Suk Yeol and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
"We have a day left (before departing from the United States) and discussions (over an arrangement of the Yoon-Xi meeting) are ongoing," a presidential official told reporters on condition of anonymity Thursday.
"We cannot guarantee that the meeting of the two leaders would actually happen due to the leaders' packed schedules."
There were speculations that Yoon might hold talks with Xi during their time in San Francisco, California, for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders' week. Should the meeting take place, it would be the two leaders' first meeting in a year.
Xi is in the US for the first time in six years, and held a summit with US President Joe Biden on Wednesday.
On Thursday, Xi and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida held face-to-face talks to mend strained ties largely due to China's ban on Japanese seafood after Japan started disposing of treated water from a crippled nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan.
"From China's perspective, they should prioritize Xi's summit with Biden, and afterward, use the remaining time available for them as efficiently as possible," the official said.
"The matter of Korea-China talks is separate from (Xi's) talks with leaders of the US and Japan. We are ahead of the strategic decision to determine whether it would be beneficial for the two leaders to hold talks (in San Francisco) and return home."
Yoon on Wednesday had a three-minute encounter with Xi, just before the APEC formal session began.
When asked whether Yoon brought up the matter of military ties between Russia and North Korea during the encounter, the official said, "Our diplomacy treats the issue separately from China-related issues." Seoul's Foreign Minister Park Jin last week expressed hopes that Xi could play a constructive role in intervening in arms deals between Russia and North Korea.
Seoul is planning to host a trilateral summit of South Korea, China and Japan before the year's end. Separately, Yoon's office announced in September that Seoul is working to invite Xi to Korea.
Korea and Japan held working-level diplomatic consultations Tuesday to discuss pending bilateral iss ...
Two Russians and three Uzbeks are currently under investigation for allegedly fighting at a campsite ...
Hundreds of students and industry insiders gathered at the 2023 Korea Herald Humanity In Tech Forum ...
- Yoon's approval rating drops to 33%: Yonhap News Survey
- [HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
- Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
- [Busan Is Ready] Busan Expo strives to present climate change solutions
- Tire tycoon's family feud rekindled
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
[KH Explains] Why tighter US subsidy rules could boost Chinese firms
Samsung Electronics tips Q3 operating profit to plunge 78% on semiconductor losses
Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
Over 70,000 teens homeless, urgent support needed: professor
Israleli strikes flatten entire neighborhoods as Gaza faces imminent blackout
- South Korea warns tit
- Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
- Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
- Hillstate Gayang flats in Daejeon to go on sale
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- Cheong Wa Dae to open for winter night stroll event
- Seoul anticipates 3
- Yoon orders increased defense of public digital infrastructure
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- German envoy calls for enhanced security cooperation with S. Korea
- NewJeans, Heartsteel to open 2023 LoL World Championship Finals
- Breaking silence over drug allegations, G
- S. Korea, Thailand to work to resolve entry denial claims
- Over 90 pct of cattle vaccinated against lumpy skin disease
- Without light, Lightwalk will not be architecture: Dominique Perrault
- Yoon's approval rating up for 2 consecutive weeks
- Central Asia, S. Korea pledge to strengthen youth cooperation
- 尹대통령 “군장병 확고한 국가관·대적관 안보대세 가져야”
- Samsung family members selling W2.6 trillion worth of shares to cover inheritance taxes
- [Test Drive] Upgraded Polestar 2 dons Iron Man mask
- Yoon vows to move up completion of GTX commuter rail networks
- Two Koreas race to launch first homegrown military spy satellites
- Samsung family to sell stakes worth W2.6tr to pay tax
- 'Oh, Jejudo' by Hyun Ki
- Former justice minister hints at parliamentary bid as 'nonlegal' route for redemption
- N. Korea steps up criticism against military cooperation among S. Korea. US, Japan
- S. Korean family returns home after fleeing Gaza via Egypt
- Nationwide reports spark escalating public fears of bedbugs
- LG Electronics opens Alaskan lab to develop HVAC tech in extreme weather
- SK Ecoplant to supply advanced fuel cells to Irish data center