Seoul shares hit 7
简介South Korean stocks dropped by more than 1 percent to the lowest point in over seven months Friday a ...
South Korean stocks dropped by more than 1 percent to the lowest point in over seven months Friday amid woes over the US Federal Reserve's further monetary tightening. The local currency rose against the US dollar.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index lost 40.8 points, or 1.69 percent, to close at 2,375, marking the lowest level since March 14, when the Kospi finished at 2,348.97.
Trading volume was slim at 507.2 million shares worth 8.8 trillion won ($6.5 billion), with decliners beating gainers 757 to 135.
In a speech delivered at a discussion session in New York on Thursday (US time), Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said inflation is still "too high," leaving the door open for another interest rate hike.
"Powell's statement and a spike in longer-term bond yields weighed heavily on investor sentiment," said Lee Kyung-min, an analyst at Daishin Securities.
In Seoul, tech and battery stocks led the market decline.
Top-cap Samsung Electronics dropped 1.01 percent to 68,800 won, and home appliance maker LG Electronics fell 0.75 percent to 105,400 won.
Battery shares continued their bearish mode following Tesla's weaker-than-expected third-quarter earnings. Major players LG Energy Solution and Posco Future M tumbled 3.54 percent and 5.66 percent to 436,500 won and 300,000 won, respectively.
Gamemakers were also in negative territory, with NCSoft falling 3.59 percent to 228,500 won and Netmarble dropping 2.98 percent to 37,500 won.
Korean Air Lines decreased 1.43 percent to 19,350 won, and Asian Airlines sank 2.63 percent to 9,640 won ahead of a key board meeting to sell the latter's cargo division for the two company's takeover deal.
Leading pharmaceutical firm Celltrion retreated 0.07 percent to 142,200 won after announcing a general shareholders meeting next week to make a decision on a planned merger with its sales affiliate Celltrion Healthcare.
The local currency ended at 1,352.4 won against the US dollar, up 5 won from the previous session's close. (Yonhap)
South Korean drugmakers are in a rush to mass-produce antipyretics and antibiotics to keep pace with ...
The Seoul Metropolitan Government announced Tuesday that it will distribute a portable SOS emergency ...
국민의힘 이준석 전 대표가 16일 국회에서 현안 관련 기자회견을 하고있다. 연합뉴스이준석 전 국민의힘 대표가 유료 회원제 유튜브 채널을 개설한 데 대해, 선거관리위원회가 ‘정치자금 ...
- Lotte renews online grocery sales race with new mega facility
- Seoul shares open lower after record daily gain
- 인요한 만난 김종인 “처방은 잘했지만, 환자가 약을 먹어야”
- [Korean History] In 2004, serial murderer with goal to kill 100 was stopped at 20
- Man adopts 2 cats, just to kill them
- Farm online, harvest offline: Virtual farming games attract inflation
Korea, Britain finance chiefs discuss economic dialogue, investment ties
Mama Awards stays in Japan for 2nd straight year
[Korea Beyond Korea] Yale sociologist and BTS fan researches K
Defense minister rejects plans for J
[Contribution] Future of agriculture
S. Korea retakes No. 1 spot in global shipbuilding orders in Oct.
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
- Half of Loona restarts as quintet Loossemble
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- Posco Holdings recoups investment in Roy Hill after 13 years
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- HDC to spur digital innovation for efficiency, safety
- [Today’s K
- ‘홍범도·양평고속도로’ 야당 쓴소리에 윤 대통령 주로 경청
- Korea to set workplace harassment criteria: minister
- KT, Telkom join hands for Indonesia smart city project
- [Korea Quiz] Lucrative MLB careers
- Weeekly invites listeners to enter universe where dreams come true
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- Yoon doubles down on cutting national debt in 2024 budget speech
- FM Park, Blinken to meet in Seoul next week
- 홍준표 "서울 메가시티, 시대 역행…尹정책과도 안맞아"
- Dreamcatcher to present new album 'VillanS' on Nov. 22
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- ‘北 정찰위성 3차 발사’ 질문에 美 국방부 “계속 모니터링”
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
- Posco secures W6tr supply deal from Lotte Energy Materials
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- Halloween weekend sees 65 police calls
- N. Korean envoy rejects report on Hamas using N. Korean arms as 'groundless'
- Decoding Korea's 'virtuous' drinking culture