N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite between Wednesday and Dec. 1: report
简介North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reut ...
North Korea has notified Japan of a plan to launch a space rocket between Wednesday and Dec. 1, Reuters reported Monday, as the recalcitrant regime is preparing for what would be its third attempt to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
The North apprised Japan's Coast Guard of the planned launch in the direction of the Yellow Sea and East China Sea, according to Reuters.
South Korea has said Pyongyang may go ahead with the launch as early as "this week or so," while urging the regime to "immediately" stop the launch preparations.
The North initially planed to make the third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time.
The North's launch preparations drew keen attention amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
Seoul and Washington have warned the North against the launch, which they say would be a violation of UN Security Council resolutions banning any launch using ballistic missile technology.
Lt. Gen. Kang Ho-pil, chief director of operations at South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Monday that Seoul would take "necessary measures" should the North go ahead with the launch.
Observers said that the North appears intent to secure intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets as it is far behind the allies in ISR capabilities despite its focus on developing an array of formidable weapons systems, including submarine-launched ballistic missiles and tactical nuclear arms. (Yonhap)
The sense of constriction has become more palpable for Kim Min-hyung, a 30-something office worker i ...
The 28th Busan International Film Festival held its new awards festival, the Asia Contents Awards & ...
South Korea's film industry has garnered international acclaim for its unique storytelling, oft ...
- Man adopts 2 cats, just to kill them
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- [Herald Review] Ive gives a sneak peek of new album, kicks off first world tour with Seoul gigs
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Korean students outperform OECD average amid pandemic havoc: data
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
與 김재섭 "이낙연, 개딸을 바이러스 취급…메시지 너무 셌다"
Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
[Korean History] Deadly sinking of Navy ship in 2010 marks worst postwar military disaster
Daegu’s iconic opera festival set to attract operagoers with five tragic operas
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- LG Innotek wins patents for EV charging technology
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- 이용, 지도부 때린 서병수·홍문표에 "선당후사·솔선수범 하라"
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- Star musicians add own touches to films as music directors
- Hyundai, Kia team up with Infineon on EV power chips
- S. Korea's Navy holds regular multinational mine warfare drills
- 2023 Melon Music Awards to take place Dec. 2
- Strengthening Vietnam
- Hanmi Global to host forum on data center construction
- Japan preparing to bring back some 20 S. Koreans from Israel, along with its own nationals: reports
- Galleries vexed by outdated ban on taking older artwork out of country
- [KH Explains] Why Starbucks' new coupon policy is a big deal in Korea
- Cha Medical to hold global forum on next
- Hyundai Motor, Kia ranked in mid range of global eco
- 尹 대통령 "국립대병원 중추로 육성" 의료인력 확충 필요성 강조
- Coupang Play seeks turnaround with exclusive content
- 윤 대통령 “저보고 소통 부족하다 지적하는 분 많아 반성”
- Chuu makes tearful solo debut with 'Howl'
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- SK gears up for largest
- 김기현 “지역·계층·세대별 민심 여과없이 대통령에 직접 전달”
- Man nabbed in naked rampage
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses