Golf club's 'no Japanese car' policy sparks controversy
简介A South Korean golf club has caused controversy online for its policy of restricting services for th ...
A South Korean golf club has caused controversy online for its policy of restricting services for those driving Japanese cars.
The club, located in North Jeolla Province, prohibits parking of Japan-made cars at the club's parking lot, according to a notice posted on an online community on Nov. 11. Staff at the club will not load and unload golf clubs for those arriving in Japanese cars, it added.
Toyota, Lexus, Infiniti, Subaru and Isuzu cars are among those listed as banned in the notice.
“Do not forget the contributions of our ancestors who defended this country under the Japanese occupation,” the notice reads, referring to when Korea was under Japanese colonial rule from 1910-45.
“The purpose of this policy is not to forget the men and women who made sacrifices for the freedom of Korea during the Japanese colonial rule."
A nationwide boycott of Japan-made goods, mostly clothing, beer and cars, began in 2019 against Tokyo's export restrictions of some key industrial materials to Korea. The boycott has in recent years lost traction as Japanese brand goods have soared in popularity, especially among the younger generation, alongside improved Korea-Japan ties.
The notice drew mixed response from netizens. Some expressed support for the company, while others criticized the measure as a marketing gimmick, pointing to the popularity of Japanese-made golf clubs in Korea, which are not subject to restrictions at the golf club.
The vehicle ban has been in place from Jan. 1, 2022, the notice added.
Kim Yeon-soo, 27, was able to get her hands on a resale ticket for her favorite artist's concer ...
Now is a perfect time to visit royal palaces and tombs as several trails and tombs normally closed t ...
SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won called on the board of directors to review the decision-making proces ...
- 이낙연, 1만3000명 출당 청원에 "당에서 몰아내면 받아야지"
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- Dreamcatcher to present new album 'VillanS' on Nov. 22
- Woman claiming to 'see God' committed to mental health facility
- KT, Telkom join hands for Indonesia smart city project
KFCC hosts workshop for sustainable growth in Africa
Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
‘北 정찰위성 3차 발사’ 질문에 美 국방부 “계속 모니터링”
NK closes embassy in Spain after shutting down 2 missions in Africa
[Herald Review] Musical 'Yujin and Yujin' captivates Taiwanese audience
[Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- [이번 주 리뷰]北,군사위성 발사…정부 온라인 장애속출(20~25일)
- [Herald Interview] Korea ramps up high
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
- Jeju Island offers many choices for holidaymakers with pets
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- Female Nexon employee berates 'misandrist gesture' in MapleStory video
- Samsung sets up control tower for new growth drivers
- Hyundai Motor chief named automotive industry leader of 2023
- KB chief vows to nurture AI talents
- [Herald Interview] Nam Woo
- Korea's yakgwa booming on back of ‘newtro’ trend, media coverage
- Saudi crown prince gives Yoon a ride to investment forum
- Hyundai Motor to build 1st car plant in Saudi Arabia, leading 46 Korea
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- Yoon attends opening of Korean pavilion at Horticultural Expo in Qatar
- [Korean History] 'Yonsama' fans trailblaze Hallyu in Japan
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- [Today’s K
- 정청래, 가결파 징계에 "신상필벌은 당연…잠시 미뤄둔 것"
- 500 bird strikes reported in past 5 years: data
- Seoul shares snap 3
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- 국회서 피켓‧고성 사라지나…여야, 정쟁자제 '신사협정' 체결
- Woori Bank accelerates overseas expansion
- [Herald Review] Based on true story, 3 boys find justice 16 years delayed in 'The Boys'
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- S. Korea to complete LSD vaccinations by early Nov.: ministry