Trump vows to kill Asia trade deal being pursued by Biden if elected
简介Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, said on Saturday that he w ...
Donald Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination, said on Saturday that he would kill off a Pacific trade pact being advanced by US President Joe Biden if he were to win the 2024 election and return to the White House.
Speaking to supporters in Iowa, Trump said he was against the regional trade deal being negotiated by the Biden administration with 13 other countries, arguing that it would hollow out US manufacturing and trigger job losses.
Talks on the trade sections of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework, which is aimed at offering the region an alternative to China's growing trade clout, stumbled in recent days after some countries, including Vietnam and Indonesia, declined to commit to strong labor and environmental standards.
Trump, who withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal that had been forged with many of the same countries after taking office in January 2017, said he would "knock out" what he referred to as "TPP Two" immediately upon taking office.
"Under the next administration... the Biden plan for 'TPP Two' will be dead on day one," Trump said at a campaign event in Fort Dodge, about 94 miles (150 km) north of Des Moines.
"It's worse than the first one, threatening to pulverize farmers and manufacturers with another massive globalist monstrosity designed to turbocharge outsourcing to Asia."
The Biden administration had hoped to finish key chapters of its IPEF trade initiative in time for this week's Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting. It has vowed to continue negotiating the ambitious deal, but election-year pressures and resistance to tough commitments from some countries make a deal unlikely, trade experts and business groups say. (Reuters-Yonhap)
A 50-something woman who threw objects out the window of her 18-floor apartment and shouted "I' ...
While a growing number of college students abroad want to learn about Korea thanks to the country’s ...
As the only high school pitcher on the South Korean Asian Games baseball team, teen prospect Jang Hy ...
與 김재섭 "이낙연, 개딸을 바이러스 취급…메시지 너무 셌다"
Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
Scalpers take bigger cut of Korean music industry
[Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- S. Korea to complete LSD vaccinations by early Nov.: ministry
- Braving wind and high water to celebrate Dokdo Day
- [Herald Interview] Saudi Arabia seeks to engage with world through Diriyah Contemporary Art Biennale
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- Hyundai Motor to build 1st car plant in Saudi Arabia, leading 46 Korea
- LG Chem opens research center in US
- Boeing eyes more Chinook helicopter exports to S. Korea
- [Herald Review] Musical 'Yujin and Yujin' captivates Taiwanese audience
- Lucy returns with 'Boogie Man'
- 與 김재섭 "이낙연, 개딸을 바이러스 취급…메시지 너무 셌다"
- McKinsey names 2 new partners at Seoul office
- [Herald Review] ‘Our Season’: a relatable story for all moms and daughters
- Man adopts 2 cats, just to kill them
- Woman claiming to 'see God' committed to mental health facility
- [Today’s K
- Over 70,000 teens homeless, urgent support needed: professor
- Requirements for zoo licenses set to be toughened
- Warmer winter temperatures expected this week
- [Contribution] Future of agriculture
- Scalpers take bigger cut of Korean music industry
- Yoon's approval rating drops to 33%: Yonhap News Survey
- Drug demand rises over surge in ‘walking pneumonia,’ flu
- Posco wins W300b EV parts deal with US carmaker
- 5 cities in Japan splashed with Seventeen
- Seoul to provide 10,000 portable safety alarms to potential gender
- Another search targets opposition leader in corruption probe